Monday, January 24, 2011

Baby, It's COLD outside!

"C'mon Rudolph- let's GO!"


When did I move to Siberia? According to all the morning newscasters, it's colder than a brass witch's... well...never mind...(though just once, wouldn't you LOVE to hear your local weatherman say it like that? Giggle, giggle...) They did mention, however, that any skin that was exposed for more than 10 minutes was at risk for frostbite- oo! Make sure you have your Fat Joey Knitwear scarves and hats on today! They come with Fat Joey's Guarantee to keep you warm as a kitten!






Fat Joey Knits. You know you want one!




In honor of it being such a godawful frosty day and the fact that with a newborn, I can't, in fact, occupy myself by drinking copious amounts of mulled wine and schnapps, I will turn to other comforts instead. Besides, Izzy got me up at 5 am, let me fortify myself with strong coffee and then promptly fell back asleep in her bassinette, leaving me staring down an enormous caffiene high. No fair, Iz!

Nothing left for me to do now but make soup! Not just any sorry old broth, mind you, nothing will do for today but my famous, delicious, once-you've -had -it -you'll -never -go -back -to -chicken, PEANUT BUTTER SOUP! That's right, I said PEANUT BUTTER. This is one of the first things I learned to cook, and love it or hate it....you'll never forget it!



It's actually a Cream of Peanut soup, quite civilized, but that name doesn't have the shock value of the other. But seriously, you should try this at least once...it is warm, rich, creamy and makes your house smell incredible. It's also fabulous cold the next day. And because I love all my readers so, here's the secret recipe, given to me by my mother, who got it from her friend Patsy Crichton, who got it from the Kings Arms Tavern, in Williamsburg, V.A.



INGREDIENTS





  • 1/4 cup butter


  • 1 cup finely chopped celery


  • 1/3 cup finely chopped onion


  • 1 Tablespooon flour


  • 1 cup chunk style (In Fat Joey's Test Kitchen we like Jif Super Crunchy)


  • 3 cans (13 3/4 oz size) chicken broth


  • 2 cups heavy cream (told you it was creamy)


1. In hot butter in a 4 Qt. saucepan, saute onions and celery until tender, about 5 minutes



2. Remove from heat. Add in flour and peanut butter, stirring until peanut butter is melted. Gradually stir in chicken broth.



3. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.



4. Stir in heavy cream, heat for a few minutes longer.



5. Serve with a green salad and yummy bread. Revel in your culinary awesomeness. Enjoy!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dave loves the peanut butter soup! He had it as a kid in Williamsburg and we were there last year for New Year's and he had it again! Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

Once you try it, you'll like it.
What, Baby Izzy slept in her bassinet? vondabar!