Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sleep Deprivation Experiment, Day 37. (or, I miss my friend Jim Beam)

No more yakking! Please!

Phew. Dave and I were congratulating ourselves last weekend on how well we'd done this first month with our new baby. We figured we had this parenting thing down - no problem! Why, it's a piece of (diaper) cake! (You all know where this is going, right? I can feel you out there smirking in cyberspace.) This week has been a touch rockier...and Mommy and Daddy are just the tiniest bit frazzled.

The toughest day was Tuesday....when Izzy had vomited all down the front of me...twice...and then Maggie the cat started to follow her example...all over the house. By mid afternoon it was evident to me that Maggie was working on something much bigger than a hairball (she's a long haired cat and thus entitled to the occasional yak) and I was VERY concerned.

Of course, I only realized how bad the problem was AFTER the vet's office had closed for the day. By then Maggie had gotten sick all over the house (did I mention we have white carpets, inherited from the previous owners who evidently had no small children or pets?) wasn't eating and was uttering heartbreaking and pathetic little cries. Oh, I HATE it, HATE it, when one of my critters isn't well. It hits me right where I live.

I hadn't slept well for days 'cause Izzy is inconsolable if someone isn't holding her 24/7. Like many babies her age, if you don't hold her, she won't sleep. Now I'm happy to snuggle my munchkin and make her feel secure, but it does make it a teeny bit hard to get in all those frivolous luxuries, like sleeping and eating and brushing my teeth. Add to the mix nursemaiding a horkimg, howling feline and you have a recipe for tears- mine.

Thank God for the cavalry, in this case, my Momma, who arrived bearing a chicken for dinner, a big box of chocolate donuts (which would be gone by morning) and endless reassurances that Maggie the horking cat would be just fine. She put the chicken in the fridge, settled the baby in her lap and sent me straight to bed.

It's truly amazing what a two hour nap can do when you're at the end of your tether, so to speak.

At about two A.M. Maggie finally expelled the problem - yards and yards of what appear to be a shoelace- the kind you find in men's dress shoes. How and where she found that (and WHY she decided to eat it) will forever remain a mystery. (And yes, she coughed it up in a giant pile of sick on the white carpet, inches away from the more forgiving linoleum floor. Atta girl, Mags.)

But we don't care about the carpets (much) - our Maggie is back to health. She's eating like a champ, climbing into my lap (overtop of the baby) for snuggles and trying to scale the Christmas tree. (Yes, we still have it up - don't you judge me!)

Long story short, sanity and order have once more been restored to our little Kingdom. Izzy still won't sleep on her own, but you know what? Those late night infomercials can be DAMNED entertaining!


Maggie sez "shoelaces = delicious!"

1 comment:

Hannah said...

So glad Maggie is back to her old self! How on earth did she swallow an entire shoelace? And where did you find the time to actually update your blog?? you are SuperWoman!!