Saturday, September 25, 2010

I'm in!!

So once again, we have my sister-in-law Mcgee to blame for the creation of this blog ;) ..... as I was going on (and on and on and on) the other day about my upcoming craft fair and fledgling business, Fat Joey Knitwear, she pointed out that a blog with pictures, witticisms and updates might be a wonderful way to promote it. As she's always right about stuff like this, I thought I'd resurrect The True Life Adventures.

Actually, I thought I'd create an all new blog, as I'd (ahem!) lost the password for this one and was consequently forced to abandon it.... I couldn't even log on or update (or visit) my own blog....having forgotten not only the password.....but also what I'd called the damn thing. But when I tried to create a new one, the site informed me that I already HAD a blog attributed to this email address and I was able to reset the password and VOILA! We're back, BABY!

Some things have changed since last we met. Even though it's been nearly two years since his passing, it still hurts to write - Fat Joey is no more. I miss the little critter every day and still can't stand to talk about it. He was an exceptional little person and his loss still hurts. I apologize if this seems a little melodramatic,but if you're not a pet person, you just don't know how they can get ahold of you, or how devastating their loss can be. And anyway, I'm pregnant, so I get a special dispensation for melodrama (and self pity and, um...pathos. Ooo, and irrationality. That too.)

But onto cheerier things....I thought the best way to remember Joe-boy would be to help other critters find food, health care and eventually, permanent and loving homes. And that's how Fat Joey Knitwear (warm as a kitten) was born. A portion of every sale from FJKW goes to support the PAWS animal shelter in Philadelphia, PA, or City Kitties, in West Philadelphia. Sometimes it's 10%, sometimes it's 100%! I'd also like to raise some money for Project Heifer, an EXCELLENT charity that buys livestock for families in developing countries. Ideally, I'll raise enough to buy a sheep, which seems most appropriate given the wooly nature of my business.

At this point, I very much want to post links to these wonderful charities, but, having all the computer savvy of a really smart monkey....I don't know how. I could root my technologically gifted husband out of bed to assist me, but as it is barely seven thirty on a Saturday morning I doubt he'd be feeling terribly helpful. So we'll just wait a bit on those links....shall we?

I'm pleased to report that last year, FJKW raised several hundred dollars for the animal shelters, and while it wasn't an enormous amount, I believe that little amounts matter. We also donated cleaning supplies, blankets and the all important wet food. Sincere thanks to all who have purchased Fat Joey Knitwear products, taught me new knitting techniques, or supported me in any way. The critters and me say THANK YOU! You're all going straight to heaven.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

JILL!!! I *LOVED* reading your first entry! I was happy to note that you write as wittily (?? Is that even a word??) as you speak!

I admire your dedication to animals in general and City Kitties in particular.YOU are going straight to heaven!

I love you and I wish you all the luck on this next leg of your incredible true life adventurous journey! <3

McGee said...

I am so going to post a link to your blog on mine. Perhaps that will shame you into frequent posting? Oh, and you TOTALLY need an etsy site for FJKW. I'll even design a banner for your etsy site if you want. I want to see some of this awesome stuff you're knitting!

Jill said...

Doggone it Ladies, you are TOO good to me! Your support means more than I can say. My kitties thank you, my fetus thanks you and I thank you too!