Friday, June 5, 2015

Out on a limb....

So yesterday I signed my first contract as a producer. And my hands didn't even shake. Much. When I say "producer" I should explain. I'm not backing a film or a show, I'm hosting and putting together a stage combat workshop. What is stage combat, you may ask? Weeeeelllll, stage combat is how actors perform violence in movies, tv and on stage without ever hurting anyone. Think of the knife fight in West Side Story or the duels in Romeo and Juliette. Or the fights in the movie Gladiator? All stage combat. Choreographed, simulated violence to tell a dramatic story. And it's HELLA fun to do.

But guess what? Here in Delaware, there aren't currently any ongoing stage combat classes. And that makes me sad. I don't WANT to take a Mommy and Me Yoga class, I want to swing my BROADSWORD at somebody. (and yes, I DO own a broadsword. She's 4 pounds and I can wield her one handed, if I have to. I keep her under the bed.) So what's a scrappy lass to do? Why, bring the fighting to DE, of course! 

And that's how that all got started. A buddy of mine in the Society of American Fight Director's, Michael Chin, is a sanctioned Fight Master. And he's agreed to come on down from New York City, where he teaches at a little arts school named Juilliard. (Ever heard of it?). He'll teach the fighting, biting and smiting and I'm throwing together the particulars, such as location, students, tuition, publicity, etc. I just signed a contract with Opera Delaware to rent this space for two days. Ulp. And pay them for it. Double ulp. So now it's really real.

To make this workshop fly I need ten paying actor/combatants. That's enough to rent the space, pay Mike, feed and water him, put him in a hotel for two nights and pay for transportation. 10. I need 10. That is the number I'm meditating on today. If you have any good vibes, send 'em my way. Think 10, people!

If you want to learn more about The Delaware Down and Dirty, click here!

https://www.facebook.com/events/107064866296098/

Have a great day and fight nice, everyone!

No comments: